BIDDEFORD, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team exploded for a 20-1 win over the University of New England in Tuesday's first game of the doubleheader and continued to roll with a 6-2 win in game two.
The Polar Bears climb to 26-8, while the Nor'Easters fall to 17-19.
Game One Highlights
- UNE put the game's first run on the board in the bottom of the first, but would not push another runner across the plate for the remainder of the game.
- Ruby Siltanen drove in Bowdoin's first run with an RBI single up the middle.
- Bowdoin scored 15 runs in the third inning to put the game out of reach.
- Jordan Gowdy and Allison Rutz both tagged homers, with Rutz driving in three runs.
- Claire McCarthy and Maddie Rouhana both had RBI doubles in the inning.
- Rutz and Katelyn Cox each recorded a two-run single.
- Caroline Rice had a two-run double to center and Natalie Edwards quickly scored on a wild pitch.
- Jordan Gowdy rounded out the inning with an RBI single, followed by an Edwards walk that pushed a runner across the plate.
- Rouhana added a grand slam in the fourth.
- Kate Hoadley earned the win with four innings and three hits allowed, fanning a pair.
- Siltanen pitched the final inning and recorded to strikeouts.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin kept the offense alive in game two as Lauren O'Shea drove a two-run shot over the fence and McCarthy added a solo shot, both in the first.
- The Nor'Easters scored in the bottom half of the inning to stay close on an RBI groundout.
- Rice and McCarthy tagged back-to-back RBI doubles in the fifth.
- Rutz homered in the seventh.
- UNE found one last run in the bottom of the seventh on an RBI single to tight.
- Rutz pitched six innings, allowing five hits, with as many strikeouts.
- Samantha Roy pitched the final inning and allowed a pair of hits and one strikeout.
- Bowdoin plays at Williams on Saturday with a noon start.