LEWISTON, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team swept Saturday's doubleheader against Bates with an 8-0 five inning game one and 14-5 six inning game two.
The Polar Bears climb to 24-8 (8-3 NESCAC), while dropping the Bobcats to 16-12 (2-7 NESCAC).
Game One Highlights
- Bowdoin put a pair of runs on the board in the top of the first, beginning with a solo shot by Lauren O'Shea over the left field fence. Later, with the bases loaded, Natalie Edwards tagged an RBI single to right center.
- Caroline Rice drove in the third Polar Bear run in the third, plating O'Shea who led off the inning with a double to center.
- Edwards added another RBI, this time tripling to right center and driving in Claire McCarthy.
- Ruby Siltanen tagged a leadoff homerun in the fourth to extend Bowdoin's lead to 5-0. Rice singled through the right side for another RBI and McCarthy added two more.
- The 8-0 lead held through the bottom of the fifth and Bowdoin captured a quick victory.
- Samantha Roy struck out six batters in the circle, walking a pair, and allowed four hits in the shutout.
- The Polar Bears combined for 11 hits, as Rice went 2-for-2 and Edwards was 2-for-3.
Game Two Highlights
- The Bates bats came alive in the second game, putting three runs on the board in the first inning. Paige Ahlholm singled through the left side to drive in the first run and Julia Panepinto added a two-run single to right center.
- The Polar Bears answered in the top of the third with eight runs. Ali Miller and Jordan Gowdy hit back-to-back singles to begin the inning, with Miller scoring on an O'Shea single down the left field line.
- McCarthy drove in a pair of base runners with a double the left center and Natalie Edwards followed up with a two-run homer to left field.
- Allison Rutz singled to put another Polar Bear back on base and quickly came around to score on Samantha Valdivia's triple into the right corner.
- Miller plated Valdivia, singling to left, and Gowdy drove in Miller with a single to center.
- Panepinto tagged a two-run homer to left in the fifth to extend the game.
- Again, Bowdoin erupted for six runs in the sixth. Edwards and Maddie Rouhana both recorded RBI singles, while Rutz had a two-run single. Miller closed out the inning with a double down the left field line that drove in a pair.
- Miller and Edwards led the way with three RBI a piece. Rutz and McCarthy added two each.
- Rutz went 4-for-4 at the plate and also earned the win on the rubber with three strikeouts and eight hits allowed.
- Siltanen pitched the final inning, not allowing a hit.
- Bowdoin plays at the University of New England on Tuesday afternoon, beginning at 3:30 p.m., in a doubleheader.