BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bates softball team spoiled Bowdoin's senior day with a six-run fifth to defeat the Polar Bears 6-4 on Friday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (22-8, 7-3 NESCAC) held a lead through four innings before the Bobcats (16-10, 2-5 NESCAC) plated six runs with two outs.
- Bowdoin scored one run in the second, third, and fourth innings. In the bottom of the second, Claire McCarthy led off with a single to right and eventually came around to score on an RBI single by Samantha Valdivia.
- In the third, with Lauren O'Shea waiting on third, McCarthy singled to left to double Bowdoin's lead.
- Ali Miller got the Polar Bears started in the fourth with a two out single to left. Miller stole second and scored on a single to right off the bat of Jordan Gowdy.
- The Bobcats stormed back with six runs in the fifth, all coming with two outs on the board. Andrea Russo plated the first run with a single.
- Kirsten Pelletier followed up with a single which allowed Caroline Bass to later score on a fielding error. Julia Panepinto kept the Bobcats streak alive with an RBI double to left and Paige Ahlholm plated two more off a single.
- Bates managed one more run, an RBI double from Mary Collette, before the Polar Bears could send them to the dugout.
- Bowdoin answered with a run in the sixth as Maddie Rouhana led off with a single to left and quickly came around to score on Valdivia's triple.
- Bates escaped a bases loaded situation later in the inning, allowing just the early run.
By the Numbers
- Gowdy and O'Shea each had a pair of stolen bases.
- Panepinto and Collette each had a double for Bates, while Miller tagged one for Bowdoin.
- Pelletier pitched a complete game for the Bobcats, allowing four hits with five strikeouts and a walk. The Polar Bears combined for 15 hits.
- Kate Hoadley pitched 4.2 innings, allowing five hits with four strikeouts. Ruby Siltanen pitched the remainder of the game with one hit and strikeout.
- The two teams conclude the series tomorrow afternoon at Bates.