MEDFORD, Mass. – The Bowdoin softball team completed a gutsy extra-innings comeback for a 7-6 win over Tufts to split Saturday's doubleheader.
The Polar Bears (14-5, 1-2 NESCAC) suffered 6-2 loss to the Jumbos (13-5, 2-1 NESCAC) in game one.
Game One Highlights
- The Jumbos jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first as Raven Fournier jacked a two-run homer of the fence.
- The Polar Bears cut the lead in half in the fourth as Allison Rutz put the ball in play, allowing Claire McCarthy to score on a fielding error.
- Tufts pushed four runs across the plate in the fifth to extend its lead to 6-1. Three of the home team's runs went down as unearned. Jamie Stevens, Kelsey Dion, and Sara Wilner-Giwerc all tagged RBI singles. Annika Han recorded a sacrifice bunt to drive in the final run.
- Rutz again drove in McCarthy for another Polar Bear run.
- Rutz surrendered seven hits and a pair of runs with a three inning start.
- Kristina Haghdan struck out five and allowed seven hits in as many innings of work.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin fell behind 5-0 in the bottom of the second. Fournier hit a leadoff double and eventually came around to score on an RBI single by Casey Maggiore. With the bases loaded, Emma Della Volpe launched a grand slam over the fence.
- The Polar Bears got on the board off a bases-loaded sacrifice fly from Samantha Valdivia.
- In the top of the seventh, trailing 5-1, Bowdoin put up four runs to extend the game. The entire rally came with two outs on the board.
- With the bases loaded, Rutz singled to left. Natalie Edwards followed up with a three-run double down the leftfield line to force extra-innings.
- Kate Hoadley retired the side in order in the bottom of the seventh.
- Bowdoin took its first lead of the game in the ninth. McCarthy and Rutz tagged back-to-back doubles to push one run across the plate. Valdivia later lined out to left, giving Rutz the chance to score from third.
- With runners on the corners, Mia Steinberg drove in Haghdan to cut Bowdoin's lead to one.
- Hoadley forced a final out and the Polar Bears earned the comeback extra-innings win. Hoadley pitched a complete game and allowed eight hits with four strikeouts.
- Edwards led the Polar Bears with three RBIs, Rutz and Valdivia each had two.
- McCarthy went 3-for-5 at the plate.
- Bowdoin returns to Maine for a NESCAC series against Colby, beginning on Friday at 4:00 p.m.