CLERMONT, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team won its final three games in Florida to wrap a successful season opening two weeks.
The Polar Bears return to Maine with a 13-3 record. Bowdoin defeated Plymouth State (7-6) in a 2-0 final, Wisconsin-Stevens Point (6-6) 9-2, and Juniata (4-6) 11-3.
Plymouth State Highlights
- Neither team could break through until the sixth inning, when Bowdoin put up a pair of runs.
- Claire McCarthy put Bowdoin on the board with an RBI single. Ruby Siltanen added an insurance run with another RBI single.
- Jordan Gowdy and Lauren O'Shea each had a stolen base. Gowdy reached base three times in the game.
- Kate Hoadley pitched all seven innings and allowed six hits with as many strikeouts.
Wis.- Stevens Point Highlights
- The Pointers went up 1-0 in the bottom of the first on a sacrifice fly to right.
- Stevens Point doubled its lead in the third, this time pushing a runner across the plate with a bunt.
- Bowdoin came alive in the fifth, scoring seven runs. Ali Miller got the Polar Bears started with a double to center and Emma Stevens drove in another run with a similar ball.
- Caroline Rice later wore a bases loaded pitch, pushing Stevens home.
- McCarthy emptied the bases with a triple down the leftfield line.
- The Polar Bears' final run of the inning came on an RBI groundout by Natasha Fingar.
- Miller tripled in the sixth to drive in another Bowdoin run. Stevens recorded the final RBI of the game, driving in Miller with the next at-bat.
- Allison Rutz pitched all seven innings and allowed nine hits. The sophomore allowed just two runs with no walks and a pair of strikeouts.
Juniata College Highlights
- Samantha Valdivia put Bowdoin on the board with a two-run double in the second. Gowdy drove in another run, followed by an RBI single from O'Shea and double by Rice.
- Juniata scored all three of its runs in a single blast as Alyssa Shedlock recorded a three-run homer in the third.
- Miller tagged a two-run double in the fifth and Natalie Edwards scored on an Emma Stevens sacrifice fly.
- The Polar Bears drove in three more runs in the sixth inning, highlighted by a Siltanen RBI single to center.
- Siltanen pitched all six innings and allowed five hits with four strikeouts.
- O'Shea went 3-for-4 at the plate.
- Bowdoin opens NESCAC play at Tufts on March 30.