CLERMONT, Fla. – The Bowdoin softball team picked up two more wins on Thursday, defeating Clarkson 7-5 and Washington & Jefferson 9-1.
The Polar Bears climb to 10-3 on the season with one day of play remaining in Florida. The Golden Knights are 2-12-1 and the Presidents are 4-8.
Game One Highlights
- The Golden Knights took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first off a sacrifice fly, but Bowdoin evened the score in the bottom half of the inning. Claire McCarthy tagged an RBI single to left, driving in Lauren O'Shea.
- Clarkson again took the lead with a single to left.
- The Polar Bears took their first lead of the game as Maddie Rouhana drove in a pair of runs with a hard ground ball to left.
- O'Shea pushed two more runs across the plate later in the inning, doubling to left. Caroline Rice rounded out the inning with an RBI double to left.
- An error in the fifth cut Bowdoin's lead to 6-3.
- Rouhana had her third RBI of the game in the bottom half of the inning, singling to center.
- Clarkson recorded two more runs in their final at bat but were unable to catch the Polar Bears.
- Samantha Roy started in the circle for Bowdoin and pitched 3.2 innings with two hits and two runs allowed. Roy fanned four batters and walked as many. Ruby Siltanen allowed five hits with as many strikeouts.
Game Two Highlights
- Bowdoin erupted for 17 hits against the Presidents and scored first in the top of the second.
- Andrea Dorsa put Bowdoin on the board with an RBI groundout, but the Presidents responded in the bottom half of the inning with an RBI double to center.
- The Polar Bears scored in every remaining inning for eight unanswered runs.
- An error in the third allowed Rice to score and another in the fourth allowed Rouhana to score.
- The centerfielder dropped Rice's ball, allowing Katelyn Cox to come home. McCarthy had Bowdoin's first RBI of the inning with a single through the left side.
- Dorsa pushed a runner across the plate in the fifth, flying out to center. Natasha Fingar added to the tally with an RBI groundout in the sixth.
- Natalie Edwards singled through the left side for an 8-1 lead.
- Dorsa capped the game with a homerun to center.
- Allison Rutz pitched six innings and allowed as many hits. Rutz struck out one and walked a pair. Kate Hoadley pitched the final inning and recorded one strikeout.
- The Polar Bears conclude their Florida slate with a trio of games on Friday.