WATERVILLE, Maine – The Bowdoin softball team picked up its third NESCAC victory in an 8-0 win at Colby on Friday afternoon.
The Polar Bears (18-6, 3-1 NESCAC) extend their overall win streak to eight following the five-inning shutout at Colby (7-13, 0-4 NESCAC).
- Caroline Rice put Bowdoin on the board in the bottom of the first, driving in Marisa O'Toole with an RBI single.
- Ali Miller put the Polar Bears up 3-0 with a two-run single in the second.
- Bowdoin pushed three more runs across the plate during the third inning. Allison Rutz recorded an RBI double and eventually came around to score on sacrifice fly to center by Jordan Gowdy. Samantha Valdivia also drove in a run with a groundout to second.
- Rice recorded her second RBI of the day in the fourth as she drove in Emily Griffin with a sacrifice fly to center.
- Lauren O'Shea closed out the game in the bottom of the fifth, driving in Bowdoin's eighth, with a single that drove in Samantha Valdivia.
By the Numbers
- Rutz pitched five complete innings and allowed just two hits. The first-year recorded a pair of strikeouts and no walks.
- Rutz, Valdivia, and Gowdy all hit doubles in the outing. Miller and Rice each had a pair of RBIs. Rice and O'Shea went 2-for-3 at the plate. O'Toole was 2-2 with a walk.
- The two teams continue the series with a doubleheader tomorrow afternoon, beginning at noon, at Colby College.