MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Bowdoin softball team captured a pair of non-conference wins at Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears climb to 16-6 on the season and drop the Cardinals to 8-11. Bowdoin captured a 7-3 victory in game one and 3-2 win in game two.
Game One Highlights
- Claire McCarthy put the Polar Bears on the board in the top of the third, putting the ball in play and allowing Caroline Rice and Natalie Edwards to score. Marisa O'Toole drove in another two runs off a single to right.
- O'Toole drove in another run in the top of the fifth, this time singling to center, and Samantha Valdivia followed up with two-run single to right.
- The Cardinals scored the final three runs of the game, two in the fifth and one in the seventh, but could not close the gap.
- Emily Griffin pitched six innings and allowed four hits with six strikeouts.
- O'Toole and Rice both went 3-for-4 at the plate.
Game Two Highlights
- Wesleyan jumped out to a 2-0 lead after scoring in both the first and second innings.
- Bowdoin cut the lead in half as O'Toole tagged an RBI single in the fourth to drive in McCarthy.
- Allison Rutz gave the Polar Bears their final lead of the day with a two-run double in the fifth.
- Katie Hoadley went the distance in the circle with seven innings of work and five strikeouts. The first-year allowed six hits.
- O'Toole went 2-for-2 at the plate.
- The Polar Bears play the final game of their Trinity series tomorrow at 12:00 p.m. in Hartford.