CLERMONT, Fla. - The Bowdoin College softball team rounded out a successful trip to Florida with four straight wins and return north riding a six-game winning streak overall.
The Polar Bears earned wins over Clarkson (5-0), St. Catherine (4-2), Fontbonne (8-4) and Worcester State (11-1) to stand at 11-5 this spring.
- Bowdoin got some sparkling pitching performances, including the first career wins for first-years Allison Rutz and Katie Hoadley.
- Senior Emily Griffin led the way with a 5-1 record and 0.92 ERA in seven appearances, striking out 34 batters in 38.0 innings pitched.
- Rutz went 3-1 with a 1.11 ERA, allowing just 27 hits in 31.2 innings with a pair of complete games. She was also Bowdoin's leading hitter, returning north with a .480 batting average with 24 hits, 13 runs scored and 15 RBI.
- Griffin was also outstanding at the plate, batting .389 with six stolen bases while Caroline Rice owned a .377 batting average with 15 RBI.
- Claire McCarthy slugged three home runs while Marisa O'Toole finished the trip with a team-best .615 slugging percentage thanks to two homers, a triple and two doubles.
- Samantha Valdivia (.333) and Ali Miller (.327) also batted over .300 for the trip
- Bowdoin is scheduled to open NESCAC play in Hartford, Conn. this weekend with a three-game set at Trinity beginning on Friday.
- The Polar Bears have already canceled their doubleheader at Brandeis slated for Sunday, April 2.