Apr 23, 2019
LEWISTON, Maine – The Bowdoin College men's tennis team returned to the win column with a 5-3 victory on Tuesday evening over Bates.
The fourth-ranked Polar Bears improve to 13-3 overall with the victory.
- Bowdoin powered to a 2-1 lead after doubles play thanks to an 8-4 win from Grant Urken/Jerry Jiang at number one and an 8-5 victory at number two from Evan Fortier and Justin Wang.
- Singles play was extremely tightly-fought and Jerry Jiang pushed across Bowdoin's third point with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 comeback win at number one.
- With the match tied at 3-3 and three matches remaining, Justin Patel sealed a 6-2, 6-4 straight-set win at number five.
- Evan Fortier clinched it for the Polar Bears, rallying from a 6-5 deficit to take a 7-6 tiebreaker decision at number four, giving Bowdoin the victory.
- Alan Delman was winning 6-2, 2-1, at number six singles when decision was reached.
- Bowdoin will close out its regular season with a pair of big matches this weekend, at home against Tufts on Friday (1:00 p.m.) before heading to play at Williams on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.