WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team avenged a regular-season loss to Bates in the opening round of the NESCAC Championship on Friday morning, 5-2.
The Polar Bears (16-4) advance to the semifinals on Saturday morning where they will face Wesleyan at 9:00 a.m. at Williams College.
- Bowdoin got on the board in doubles play thanks to an 8-2 win from Gil Roddy/Justin Patel at #3.
- The Polar Bears carried a big 2-1 lead into singles action as the #2 pairing of Kyle Wolfe/Jerry Jiang pulled out a 8-6 victory.
- In singles action, Bowdoin increased their lead thanks to a straight-set win from Jerry Jiang (6-0, 6-0).
- The Polar Bears inched closer with a comeback win from Justin Patel (5-7, 6-3, 6-4) at #6 and sealed the deal with a hard-fought win by Grant Urken at #2 (6-3, 3-6, 7-6).
- Bowdoin will look to advance to the NESCAC finals for the second straight season when they battle Wesleyan Saturday.
- The Cardinals took a 6-3 win against the Polar Bears last weekend.