WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team was ousted by Williams, 5-1, in an NCAA Regional Final on Sunday. The Polar Bears finish their year with a record of 12-7. The Ephs (13-5) advance to their 13th consecutive NCAA quarterfinal berth.
The Ephs took a 2-1 lead out of doubles play. Bowdoin’s
number one pair of Jamie Neely and Oscar Pena took charge at court
one over Dicken Chaplin and Bret Thacher, defeating the Williams
pair, 8-1. Jeremy Weinberger and Kevin Shallcross delivered a win
at court three, 8-3, to even the score while Nick Lebedoff and Will
Petrie muscled out a 9-7 win over Stephen Sullivan and Alex
Caughron to give Williams the edge heading into singles action.
Freshman Kevin Shallcross earned a win at court five over Neely, 6-2. 6-4. Williams senior captain, Rick Devlin, contributed with a win at court three over Caughron, 6-4, 6-3. Karol Furmaga iced the win with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Josh Cranin at number six singles to close it out.
The season is not quite over for three Bowdoin players as Sullivan, Neely and Pena have all earned individual NCAA Tournament bids. Sullivan is one of 32 singles players in the singles championship with Neely and Pena entering a field of just 16 doubles teams. The NCAA Championship will be held at the Biszantz Family Tennis Center in Claremont, California, and hosted by Claremont McKenna-Harvey Mudd-Scripps Colleges May 19-24.
Williams 5, Bowdoin 1
1) Pena/Neely (B) def. Chaplin/Thacher (W) --- 8-1
2) Lebedoff/Petrie (W) def. Sullivan/Caughron (B) --- 9-7
3) Weinberger/Shallcross (W) def. White/Cranin (B) --- 8-3
1) Nick Lebedoff (W) vs. Stephan Sullivan (B) --- 6-2, 1-6, 3-3
2) Jeremy Weinberger (W) led Oscar Pena (B) --- 6-4, 4-6, 5-2
3) Rick Devlin (W) def. Alex Caughron (B) --- 6-4, 6-3
4) Will Petrie (W) led Alex White (B) --- 7-6(8), 5-4
5) Kevin Shallcross (W) def. Jamie Neely (B) --- 6-2, 6-4
6) Karol Furmaga (W) def. Josh Cranin (B) --- 6-3, 7-5