WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's tennis team eased
past Vassar, 5-0, in an NCAA Tournament Second Round match on
Saturday at Williams College. The Polar Bears (12-6) advance to
play the host Ephs at 3:00 p.m. Saturday in the regional finals.
The teams played a hotly-contested regular season match on April 18
with Williams taking a 6-3 win.
The top doubles match featured Oscar Pena and Jamie Neely of Bowdoin and Mike Mattelson and Jeremy Rosen of Vassar and battled to a tiebreak. Deadlocked heading to a tiebreak, Pena and Neely dominated the tiebreaker to take an eventual 9-8 (2) victory.
Stephen Sullivan and Alex Caughron were victorious at number two while Alex White and Josh Cranin took a point at number three doubles to give the Polar Bears an insurmountable lead.
In singles play, Pena and White took straight set wins at courts two and four, respectively. Pena defeated Max Willner, 6-4, 6-3, while White dealt Josh Jasso a 6-3, 6-2 loss to seal the victory.
Bowdoin 5, Vassar 0
1) Pena/Neely (B) def. Mattelson/Rosen (V) --- 9-8(2)
2) Sullivan/Caughron (B) def. Willner/Katz (V) --- 8-5
3) White/Cranin (B) def. Jasso/Shane Donahue (V) --- 9-7
1) Stephan Sullivan (B) led Mike Mattelson (V) --- 7-5, 4-6
2) Oscar Pena (B) def. Max Willner (V) --- 6-4, 6-3
3) Greg Katz (V) led Alex Caughron (B) --- 7-5, 3-4
4) Alex White (B) def. Josh Jasso (V) --- 6-3, 6-2
5) Jamie Neely (B) vs. Shane Donahue (V) --- did not start
6) Josh Cranin (B) vs. Jeremy Rosen (V) --- did not start