BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's and women's swim teams hosted the expanded seven team Maine State Meet on Friday and Saturday.
The women finished second overall, trailing Bates 1105.5-907 but outdistancing Colby by a 907-692 margin. The men finished the meet third overall, falling behind Bates and Colby.
Women's Meet Highlights
- The team won the 200 and 400 freestyle relays this weekend. Amanda Banasiak, Marshall Lowery, Sterling Dixon, and Mary Laurita posted a 1:37.17 in the 200 freestyle relay. The same quartet won the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:36.17.
- Senior Sterling Dixon also added victories in the 200 IM (2:06.15), 400 IM (4:30.60), 200 Fly (2:07.47), and 100 IM (1:00.32).
- In the 400 IM the Polar Bears took the top two spots as Dixon was followed by Claire Wolff (4:43.39) and Nadia Eguchi (4:45.97).
- Sophomore Laurita was also victorious individually this weekend, posting a 24.41 in the 50 freestyle, just ahead of Banasiak (24.75). She also won the 100 fly (57.57).
- Junior Lowery topped both the 100 (58.21) and 200 (2:06.90) backstrokes.
Men's Meet Highlights
- Friday night first-year Coleman Komishane took down the Bowdoin school record in the 500 freestyle. He touched in 4:37.77, just faster than senior Daniel Williams' mark of 4:38.26 set last February. Williams was runner up in 4:40.93.
- Komishane was also runner up in the 200 free (1:45.75) and 1650 free (16:15.04) this weekend. Williams won the 1650 free with a 16:01.16.
- Senior captain Karl Sarier was first to the wall in the 100 free (47.22) and 200 IM (1:56.90).
- Julian Abaldo raced to a 24.03 to claim the 50 fly state title.
- First-year Ted Mebust won the 50 backstroke with a time of 24.13, and the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.61. He was also first to the wall in the 100 backstroke (52.71), and was just edged in the 200 back, touching second with a time of 1:56.10.
- Mebust, Komishane, and Sarier teamed up with Abaldo to win the 400 freestyle relay in 3:09.02. Drew Macdonald, Mebust, Sarier, and Abaldo were first to the wall in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:27.49.
- The teams are off for the remainder of the semester and return to the pool with a meet at Bates on January 18.