BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's and women's swimming & diving teams opened the season by welcoming MIT and WPI to Greason Pool.
In their first meet of the season the #21 Bowdoin women beat WPI 199 to 100 , and fell to #8 MIT 181 to 118. The #25 Polar Bear men fell to both #6 MIT and WPI in their first meet of the year. They scored 66 points to MIT's 232, but kept things close with WPI, falling 144.5 to 154.5.
- Sterling Dixon opened her senior campaign with three victories, taking the 200 freestyle (1:55.61), 200 butterfly (2:08.30), and 200 IM (2:08.48).
- The Polar Bears took first and second in both distance events. First-year Kathleen Kemp won the 1000 in 10:52.84, followed closely by sophomore teammate Nadia Eguchi (10:56.99). Eguchi edged first-year Kate Fosburgh 5:18.89 to 5:18.95 for the 500 free win.
- Junior Marshall Lowery led the backstroke efforts with a third place 59.52 in the 100 and a 2:09.91 runner up finish in the 200.
- Sophomore Mary Laurita won the 100 butterfly with a 57.59 and was second in a close 50 free with a 24.60. Junior Amanda Banasiak was third in that 50 freestyle with a 24.92.
- The Polar Bears earned a runner up finish in the 400 freestyle relay with Laurita, Dixon, Lowery, and Fosburgh touching in 3:38.16.
- Senior Daniel Williams was runner up in both the 1000 (9:47.84) and 500 (4:50.54) freestyle events. Sophomore Coleman Komishane finished third in the 1000 in 9:51.25.
- Senior captain Karl Sarier touched second in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:43.33. He went on to win the 100 free (46.63) and touch third in the 200 IM (1:59.24).
- On the boards, senior Mitchell Ryan scored 297.67 points for a third place finish on one meter and 312.90 points for a runner up finish on three meter.
- Senior Stephen Pastoriza placed third in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:15.25.
- The Polar Bears host the Maine State Meet on November 30 at 6:00 p.m.