BIDDEFORD, Maine – The Bowdoin men's soccer team began the 2019 season with a 3-0 win at the University of New England on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears are 1-0 to begin the year, while the Nor'Easters are 0-1-1.
- Bowdoin got on the board with an unassisted tally by Drake Byrd in the 32nd minute. The Polar Bears took a corner kick from the right side and put the ball on net. The rebound bounced back to Byrd beyond the box, who booted a shot just below the crossbar for a 1-0 lead.
- Four minutes into the second half, Bowdoin doubled its lead. A foul on the left side around midfield gave the Polar Bears a quick restart and room for a cross by Alex Chaban. Matt Uek went up for the ball as it came into the box and headed in his first of the season.
- Brian Bae added to the team total with a goal in the 75th minute. A low cross from Liam Houlgate on the right end line came to the feet of Bae. Bae quickly turned on net and put the ball off Will Shearon's glove into the corner.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held a 15-8 shot advantage over UNE and 10-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Chris Kingston made six stops to earn the season opening shutout.
- Camden Spear made one save in the opening half and Shearon made three in the second.
- Bowdoin opens conference play at Amherst on Saturday with a 2:30 PM start.