MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – Drake Byrd scored the game-winning goal just under 11 minutes into the game to lift the Bowdoin men's soccer team to a 1-0 win over host Middlebury on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears pick up their first conference win at 3-3-0 (1-2-0 NESCAC) while the Panthers are sit at 2-2-1 (1-2-0 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin tallied the only goal at 10:57. Following a Middlebury foul, Byrd rifled a right-footed shot from 22 yards out. The ball tucked in under the upper-left corner.
- Middlebury's best chance came with just over a minute remaining in the first half. Daniel O'Grady found space behind the defense on a cross, but his volley was saved by Owen Wolfson.
- The Panthers continued to pressure in the second half, but the Polar Bears kept the hosts off the board.
By the Numbers
- Matthew Hyer finished with three stops for the Panthers.
- Wolfson made five stops for Bowdoin after relieving Chris Kingston midway through the first.
- Middlebury held a 12-5 shot advantage and 4-1 corner kick edge.
- Bowdoin plays at the University of Southern Maine on Wednesday evening.