Men's Soccer Holds Off Husson To Return To Win Column

Luke Lockwood scored Bowdoin's second goal in the win over Husson
Luke Lockwood scored Bowdoin's second goal in the win over Husson

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College men's soccer team used a pair of second half goals and held off a late flurry to defeat Husson, 2-1, in a non-conference match at Pickard Field on Tuesday afternoon.

The Polar Bears bounce back from a pair of one-goal losses over the weekend to improve to 2-2-0. Husson falls to 1-4-1 with the loss.

Match Highlights

  • Bowdoin completely controlled the game in the opening half, owning a 12-0 shot advantage but couldn't find the back of the net, including on a penalty kick opportunity just five minutes into the contest.
  • Husson goaltender Benjamin Powell stopped four first-half shots as the game remained scoreless at intermission.
  • Bowdoin finally got on the board in the 50th minute when a Matty McColl corner kick curled towards the goal and slipped between the gloves of Powell to give the hosts a 1-0 edge.
  • The Polar Bears doubled their lead in the 62nd minute as Drake Byrd fed a beautiful low cross to the foot of Luke Lockwood, who buried it with his left foot to make it 2-0 Bowdoin.
  • Husson made it interesting late, as a long ball from Shuby Bodke sailed down the center of the field. Nathan Firlings split the Bowdoin defense and got a toe on the lofted ball, redirecting it past Bowdoin goaltender Owen Wolfson in the 65th minute to trim the lead to 2-1.
  • The Eagles made a late push and Wolfson was forced to make two saves down the stretch to seal the win for the Polar Bears.

By The Numbers

  • Bowdoin owned a 22-3 edge in shots for the match and held a 10-2 advantage in corner kicks.
  • Powell made eight saves for Husson while Wolfson finished with two stops for Bowdoin.

Up Next

  • Bowdoin heads to Wesleyan in a return to NESCAC action Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
  • Husson will return to action at SUNY Canton on Saturday at 1:30 p.m.