MEDFORD, Mass. – The Middlebury men's soccer team defeated Bowdoin 1-0 in double overtime to advance to the NESCAC Finals.
The Polar Bears (10-4-3) were the third seeded team heading into the semifinals, while the Panthers (12-5-0) had upset Amherst the previous weekend.
- In the 74th minute, Will Herman took a shot that flew beyond the hands of a diving goalie, but sailed just wide of the net.
- Eight minutes later, Levi Morant and Moctar Niang connected before finding Max McPherron. McPherron was right in front of the net for a shot but missed high.
- Drew Goulart netted the game winner with five minutes remaining in the second overtime frame. The sophomore had the ball just beyond the left hand corner of the box and began running towards the middle. His shot curled under the crossbar and beyond the outstretched hands of Stevie Van Siclen to end the game.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held a slight 8-7 edge in shots.
- The Polar Bears held the Panthers without a corner kick, while garnering three.
- Van Siclen made one stop.
- Jeremy Yeager made a pair of saves.
- The Panthers advance to the NESCAC Championship game against Tufts tomorrow afternoon.
- The Polar Bears will wait for Monday's NCAA Selection Show to see if they earned an at-large bid to the tournament.