Men's Soccer Advances After PK Shootout in NESCAC Quarters

More photos available at
More photos available at

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's soccer team advanced to the NESCAC Semifinals for fifth consecutive year following a penalty kick shootout against Williams on Saturday afternoon.

The third-seeded Polar Bears (10-3-3) and sixth-seeded Ephs (8-3-5) played a 1-1 double overtime game, with the final decision coming in a 4-3 PK victory for Bowdoin.

Game Highlights

  • Matty McColl took a free kick from 10 yards beyond the box, arcing the ball towards the far left post. Moctar Niang headed the feed, but his shot missed inches wide of the left post.
  • Williams responded with a corner kick by Nick Ranieri from the right side. Ranieri's shot bent into the box where his ball connected with a teammate's head, flicking the ball towards the opposite post. Again, this bid missed wide.
  • Another corner kick for the Ephs produces the most promising look of the first half with five minutes remaining. David Madding served the ball from the left side and Teo Pollini rang a shot off the crossbar.
  • Bowdoin scored the game's first goal in the 54th minute. As with most of the offensive chances in the game, the Polar Bears successful bid came off a corner. Ethan Ellsworth took the kick from the left side and served Levi Morant in the box. Morant headed the ball inside the near post for a 1-0 lead.
  • Williams ramped up pressure in the remaining minutes of regulation. Tobias Meullers' free kick from just outside the box curled in towards the upper left corner, forcing Stevie Van Siclen to punch the ball up and out of play.
  • The pressure paid off for the Ephs in the 78th minute. Nick Ranieri booted a ball from high in the box, crossing to the right side, with Mark Sisco-Tolomeo heading the ball into the far corner.
  • Three minutes later, Eli Petrik broke away from the midfield and earned a one-on-one, sending his shot skimming across the grass wide left.
  • In the first overtime, a big cross to Wilson MacMillan looked like it would end the game just 22 seconds into play. MacMillan was wide open on the right side but a heavy first touch resulted in a low angle shot that buried itself in the side of the net.
  • The game went to penalty kicks, with the first two from each team being successful.
  • Bobby Schneiderman made a save on Bowdoin's third attempt, putting the pressure on Van Siclen and the Polar Bears.
  • Trailing 3-2, Van Siclen made his final two stops while Niang and Jason Oliver converted to capture a 4-3 shootout victory.

By the Numbers

  • Van Siclen ended the day with five saves and Schneiderman made two.
  • Williams held a slight 13-12 edge in shots, while the Polar Bears had a 9-7 corner kick advantage.

Up Next

  • Bowdoin advances to its fifth consecutive NESCAC Semifinals, to be played next Saturday.