WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – The Williams College men's lacrosse team rode an 8-0 run in the second and third quarters to pull away from Bowdoin in a 17-9 win on Saturday afternoon.
The eighth-ranked Ephs improve to 12-2 (7-2 NESCAC) with the win while Bowdoin drops to 6-8 (2-7 NESCAC) and is officially eliminated from NESCAC Tournament contention.
- Trailing 2-1 entering the second quarter, a pair of goals from Nick Iznaga sparked a 4-1 Bowdoin run that gave the visitors a 5-3 lead following a Jeff Powers goal with 7:40 left before halftime.
- The Ephs rolled off four straight goals to end the period, however, regaining the lead on a Cory Lund goal and taking a 7-5 edge into intermission.
- Williams continued their run in the third quarter, scoring four unanswered goals to push the lead to 11-5
- In all, Williams held Bowdoin scoreless for a span of 24:50 from the end of the second quarter to early in the fourth.
- Iznaga got Bowdoin back on the board with 13:10 to go, but Williams replied with five straight to put the contest out of reach.
By The Numbers
- Jake Haase and Cory Lund had three goals and two assists apiece to lead Williams to the win.
- Bowdoin was paced by a hat trick from both Nick Iznaga, who added an assist, and Jeff Powers.
- Defensively, Henry Savage had four caused turnovers and five ground balls for Bowdoin.
- Michael Covell made seven saves for the Polar Bears while Harry Gahagan made ten stops in the win for the Ephs.
- Bowdoin held a 57-36 advantage in shots for the contest, but only 20 of their shots were on goal.
- Bowdoin will close out their season on Wednesday evening when they host Tufts at 7:00 p.m. at Whittier Field.