AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College men's lacrosse team pulled away in the second and third quarter of a 22-9 win over Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.
The Polar Bears suffer their first loss of the year and drop to 2-1 (1-1 NESCAC) while Amherst moves to 3-0 (2-0 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin took the early lead, getting goals from Jake Crossman and Zach Chandler to take a 2-0 advantage just 4:22 into the contest.
- Amherst rallied, scoring five straight goals to end the quarter and took a 6-2 advantage following the first goal of the second quarter.
- After Bowdoin got a goal from Chandler, Amherst rolled off six more goals before halftime to take a 12-5 edge at the break.
- The Mammoths put the contest away with an 8-1 third quarter en route to the win.
By The Numbers
- Sam Langan, Zach Chandler and Will Murtag scored two goals apiece for Bowdoin.
- Jack O'Connor made nine saves in 41:12 for Bowdoin before giving way to Michael Covell who made four saves in 18:48.
- Matt Solberg led Amherst with four goals and six assists.
- Sam Carlin won 15 of 29 faceoffs for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin will look to get back into the win column on Wednesday night when they head to Babson for a 5:00 p.m. start