MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team opened the season with a 6-4 win over host Middlebury on Saturday afternoon, holding off a late Panther surge.
The Polar Bears jump to a 1-0-0 (1-0-0 NESCAC) start. The Panthers are 0-1-0 (0-1-0 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin got on the board midway through the first period as Ethan Kimball tallied his first collegiate goal, redirecting a shot from Collin Van der Veen.
- Middlebury tied the game with under three minutes to play in the opening frame as Alex Zafonte got a piece of Emack Bentley's shot, but the puck trickled through for an equalizer.
- The Panthers took the lead seven minutes into the second period as Mitchell Allen snuck the puck inside the right post from below the goal line.
- Max Ginsberg tied the game for Bowdoin two minutes later, finishing off a cross-ice feed from Ronnie Lestan.
- Bowdoin went ahead 4-2 with two more goals in the period, first with a Graham Rutledge point-blank shot and then off a one-timer from Lestan off Cam Berube's feed.
- Joe Alexander made his Polar Bear scoring debut with a power play goal five minutes into the final stanza.
- The Panthers scored a pair of goals to pull within 5-4 in the third, but a Berube empty-netter sealed the win for Bowdoin with 1:17 to play.
By the Numbers
- Middlebury went 1-for-4 on the power play.
- Bowdoin went 1-for-7 on the power play.
- Zafonte totaled 31 saves for Bowdoin.
- Brian Ketchabaw made 20 stops for Middlebury.
- The Polar Bears play a 3:00 p.m. game at Williams on Saturday.