Feb 15, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Tufts men's ice hockey team stormed the Polar Bears in a 5-0 Friday night matchup.
The Polar Bears fall to 6-15-2 (3-13-1 NESCAC) and the Jumbos climb to 6-15-2 (3-12-2 NESCAC).
- Despite the Polar Bears controlling the shot advantage in the opening period, it was the Jumbos who struck first. At the halfway point in the frame, Nick Schultze took a low angle shot from the right side. Alex Zafonte saved the bid and the puck deflected off the far boards and banked up to Jordan Haney. Haney fired a one-timer from the left side past Zafonte.
- Tufts extended its lead in the second period at 8:04. Charley Borek carried straight down the slot and put a shot on net. Zafonte turned the puck away and Brendan Ryan put a rebound back into the crease only to find a Bowdoin defender. Hayden Smith converted on the Jumbos third attempt.
- With under three to play in the frame, Cody Todesco intercepted a cross-ice pass and skated uncontested towards net. The senior wristed a shot into the chest of Drew Hotte.
- After trading shots in the opening minutes of the third, Tufts added a third goal following a faceoff at the right dot. Ross Delabruere won the faceoff and kicked the puck to Machlan Sawden. Sawden tapped the puck back to Michael Gordon who crossed to Trevor Spence at the left point. Spence fired a shot through the screen and into the net at 3:13.
- Bradley Potter handled through a trio of Tufts defenders and wristed a shot off the crossbar midway through the period.
- Hayden Smith iced the game with an empty netter with 1:30 play.
- With one second remaining, Sawden scored from the right dot to the far post.
By the Numbers
- Hotte ended the day with a 40 save shutout.
- Zafonte made 33 stops.
- Tufts went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- Both teams play on Saturday at 3:00 p.m. The Polar Bears host Connecticut College and the Jumbos play at Colby.