BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Hamilton men's ice hockey team overcame a three goal deficit to come back and win 4-3 at Bowdoin on Saturday evening.
Jason Brochu tallied the hattrick to lead the Continentals to 9-9-2 (7-5-2 NESCAC). The Polar Bears fall to 6-12-2 (3-10-1 NESCAC).
- Bowdoin broke through midway into the first period. Michael Brown flipped the puck up from the boards in front of Bowdoin's bench. Christian Capello skated onto it and snaked around a Hamilton defender to enter the zone. Capello deked around a second Continental before putting a shot away top left shelf.
- Seconds into a Hamilton power play, Brochu rifled a wrister off the post. The Polar Bears responded as Albert Washco sped off down to the opposite end with a Continental in toe. Washco battled past his defender and pulled right, then left, and backhanded a shot for the short-handed tally at 12:42.
- The Polar Bears went up 3-0 five minutes into the second period. Pat Geary worked the puck behind the net and eventually emerged at the left post. Geary went bar down to extend Bowdoin's lead.
- The Continentals responded three minutes later on the power play. Joey Moore had the puck at the right point and centered to Bennett Morrison who fired a shot on pads. Erik Wurman denied the bid, but Brochu pounced on the rebound for a quick put back.
- With 4:31 remaining in the period, Hamilton cut the deficit to one. Josh Labonte teed up a shot from the right point and Brochu deflected it past the goaltender.
- Hamilton tied the game with a shorthanded goal at 2:36 in the third. Brochu completed the hattrick as the puck escaped the Continentals zone and slid down the ice towards Bowdoin's end. Brochu beat a Polar Bear to the puck and one-timed a laser past Wurman.
- Another special teams play gave Hamilton the lead at 6:02. Controlling the puck on the power play just inside the blue line, the Continentals moved the puck left to right and back. Brochu centered to Nick Rutigliano who put a shot towards net. Nick Ursitti deflected the puck as it flew past.
By the Numbers
- Anthony Tirabassi made 16 saves for the win.
- Wurman made 35 stops for Bowdoin.
- Hamilton went 2-for-7 on the power play.
- Bowdoin was 0-for-2 on the power play.
- Bowdoin plays at Wesleyan next Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- Hamilton plays at Connecticut College on February 8 at 7:00 p.m.