Jan 22, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team returned to the win column with a 5-3 victory against Saint Anselm College on Tuesday evening.
The Polar Bears climb to 6-9-2 as the Hawks fall to 10-10-1.
- The Polar Bears struck first with a goal 52 seconds into the game. Cody Todesco won the faceoff and kicked the puck back to Austin Ricci. Ricci found Bradley Ingersoll who fired a shot from the right point.
- Saint Anselm answered at 11:35, seconds after Bowdoin returned to full strength following a Hawks power play. Sean Verrier and John Femia dug the puck out of the right corner and slid a cross-ice pass to Bryan Green at the far post.
- Bowdoin regained the lead in the final four minutes on the power play. Cam Berube controlled the puck in the high slot and passed right to Patrick Ault at the point. Ault fed Thomas Dunleavy in the circle and Dunleavy bested Colin Soucy.
- Christian Capello tallied Bowdoin's third goal of the night at 3:22 in the second. Michael Brown won the puck off the back boards and found Capello skating from right to left between the circles. Capello received the puck and backhanded a shot into the net in one quick motion.
- The Hawks climbed within one on a power play goal at 10:02. Femia circled high in Bowdoin's zone and left the puck at the left point for a waiting Green. Green skated into the faceoff circle and wristed a shot past Erik Wurman.
- Five minutes later, Bowdoin stretched its lead to two. After several shots by the Polar Bears, Ingersoll controlled the puck just inside Saint Anselm's zone. Ingersoll slid a pass to an open Todesco at the fair post. Todesco wristed an open-look shot.
- Bowdoin went up 5-2, scoring 7:41 into the final frame. The puck came off Ingersoll's stick just outside the Bowdoin zone and Albert Washco grabbed it and skated the length of the ice. Washco fired a shot past Soucy from the right dot.
- Sean Verrier scored a power play goal with 5:04 remaining in the game. Trey Aiello skated down the left boards deep in Bowdoin territory and centered a pass to Femia. Femia slipped the puck to Verrier on his right for a quick deflection.
By the Numbers
- Wurman ended the day with 20 stops for the Polar Bears.
- Soucy made 26 saves for the Hawks.
- Saint Anselm went 2-for-4 on the power play.
- Bowdoin was 1-for-4 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears host Colby on Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
- The Hawks return to the ice on Tuesday, January 29, at home against Stonehill.