Jan 15, 2019
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's hockey team and the University of Southern Maine skated to a 4-4 back and forth tie on Tuesday evening.
The Polar Bears are 5-7-2, while the Huskies are 2-12-3 on the year.
- Michael Taormina pulled the puck off the boards in USM's zone and fed Cody Braga with a long breakout pass. Braga and Tyler Gardiner traded the puck back and forth before Braga put a shot on pads. Kyle St. Denis made a sliding save on the bid, but Gardiner put back the rebound at 7:14 in the first.
- The Huskies extended their lead on a power play tally at 4:50 in the second. Taormina corralled the puck along the left boards in Bowdoin's zone and centered a pass to Michael Green for a one-timer.
- Bowdoin cut the deficit in half six minutes later. With a scramble in front off Albert Washco's initial shot, Cody Todesco pushed the rebound over the goal line.
- The Polar Bears tied the game 7:53 into the third. Todesco picked off a pass in Bowdoin territory and skated towards USM's zone. The senior dragged the puck across the goal face and Bradley Ingersoll took a shot from the open left post. Ingersoll's shot hit the outside netting and deflected to the boards. Ingersoll sent a centering pass into the crease and the puck deflected in.
- USM answered five minutes later to regain the lead. Cody Braga finished off a scrum rush in front of Bowdoin's net.
- A minute later, the game was knotted at 3-3 off a Jack Bliss tally.
- Caleb Perez scored his first career goal to give the Polar Bears their first lead of the game with 3:21 to play. Todesco wrapped around the back of Southern Maine's net and found Perez waiting out front. Perez slid the puck past Peter Ciccarelli for the 4-3 edge.
- Southern Maine pulled their goalie in the final minute and converted with 39 seconds remaining. Brendan Dowler took a shot from the right point and Taormina directed it beyond the reach of the goalie's stick.
By the Numbers
- St. Denis ended the day with 26 saves.
- Ciccarelli made 31 stops for the Huskies.
- Both teams went 0-for-1 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears travel to Williams on Friday evening for a 7:00 p.m. NESCAC contest.
- The Huskies play at Suffolk on Friday at 7:00 p.m.