BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team pinned a 5-2 setback on visiting Wentworth in the opening day of the Bowdoin/Colby Face-off Classic in Watson Arena.
The Polar Bears climb back to 2-2-0, while dropping the Leopards to 3-4-3.
- Bowdoin opened the game's scoring at 4:26 as Cody Todesco tallied his first of the season. Jason Cahoon controlled the puck on the right point and passed to Todesco on the near side. The senior handled the puck in stride and skated across the goal face before tucking a shot inside the left post.
- Graham Rutledge doubled the goal total for the Polar Bears with under five to play in the period. On the right post, the first-year pulled the puck around Thomas Draper's pads and slid it inside the pipe.
- On the penalty kill, Ronnie Lestan fought for possession of the puck in the left corner of Wentworth's zone. Lestan won the puck and centered a pass to Christian Capello who skated in and bested Draper with a quick finish in the final minute of action.
- Wentworth got on the board nine minutes into the second frame. Dante Flori skated along the left boards and skated into Bowdoin territory before knuckling a floater over the blocker of Erik Wurman.
- Bowdoin responded as Collin Van der Veen took a shot from the top of the slot. Pat Geary waited low, screening the goalie, and tipped the puck into the net at 11:22.
- Georgy Gorodetsky found Nate Chase with a breakout pass going into the Bowdoin zone. Chase controlled the puck past a defender and earned an open look at Wurman. Chase pulled the puck left across the goal face and put in Wentworth's second of the period.
- Lestan capped the game with an empty net goal in the final 20 seconds, dumping the puck on net as he connected with a Wentworth player along the boards in front of Bowdoin's bench.
By the Numbers
- Wentworth went 0-for-3 on the power play and surrendered one short-handed goal.
- Draper made 21 stops for the Leopards
- Wurman made 30 saves for the Polar Bears.
- Lestan paced the offence with three points off a goal and two assists. Van der Veen recorded three assists.
- The two teams travel to Colby on Sunday. Bowdoin plays SUNY Potsdam at 1:00 p.m. and the Leopards face Colby at 4:00 p.m.