Posted: Nov 17, 2018
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team picked up its first win of the season in a 4-3 final over Middlebury on Saturday afternoon.
Both teams are now 1-1-0 (1-1-0 NESCAC) for the season.
- Bowdoin scored 4:37 into the game to open up an early 1-0 lead. Keenan Murray fired a shot off Adam Wisco's pads and the rebound kicked straight back to Christian Capello. Capello collected the puck and put in his first of the year.
- With 3:28 remaining in the period, Michael Brown carried the puck towards net and passed to Cam Berube along the right boards. Berube found Austin Ricci in the middle for a quick shot and 2-0 lead.
- Less than a minute later, Middlebury responded to cut the lead in half. With traffic in front of Erik Wurman, Jimmy McKee put a rebound into the net from close range.
- The Polar Bears extended their lead 5:40 into the second frame. Capitalizing on a 5-on-3, Graham Rutledge controlled the puck on the right point and found Bradley Ingersoll in the high slot. Ingersoll waited for a sliding Middlebury defender to move beyond his shooting lane and bested Wisco.
- With a pile of players covering the crease, Zach Shapiro laid out just outside and hooked the puck into the net to pull Middlebury within one midway through the period.
- Just under three minutes into the final frame Shapiro evened the game for the Panthers. Owen Powers put a shot on pads from the near right side which Wurman deflected to the opposite post. Shapiro finished off the rebound and knotted the game at 3-3.
- Rutledge scored the game-winner with his first collegiate tally 6:40 into the third. Ingersoll received the puck in the slot from Cody Todesco and slipped a pass to Rutledge on the right point. The first-year one-timed the puck as it came across his body and blasted a shot into the net.
- Wurman made a pair of point-blank saves on shorthanded bids by the Panthers in the final minutes to keep the Polar Bears up down the stretch.
By the Numbers
- Wisco ended the day with 38 saves for the Panthers.
- Wurman made 26 stops for Bowdoin.
- Middlebury went 1-for-3 on the power play.
- The Polar Bears were 2-for-7 on with the extra man.
- The Polar Bears play at the University of New England on Tuesday with a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Middlebury plays Plattsburgh in the Primelink Great Northern ShootOut at 4:00 p.m. on Friday.