Nov 16, 2018
BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team fell 4-1 in its season opener to Williams on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears begin the season at 0-1-0 (0-1-0 NESCAC) and the Ephs jump to 1-0-0 (1-0-0 NESCAC).
- The first two minutes of play were spent entirely in the Bowdoin zone as the Ephs pinned the Polar Bears.
- Williams tallied the game's first goal 8:38 into the first period. Max Fuld skated straight in on Kyle St. Denis and dished left to Marcus Mollica. Mollica put a quick wrister to the top shelf.
- Mollica recorded his second of the game with a short-handed solo effort in the final four seconds of the period. The senior picked off a pass at the Bowdoin blue line and carried into the zone. Sam Topham blocked the initial shot but Mollica skated through and collected his own rebound and put it five-hole past St. Denis.
- Jack Bliss scored his first collegiate goal to cut Bowdoin's deficit to one 4:01 into the final period. Ryan Heath won a faceoff on the right side and slid the puck back to Sam Topham on the right point. Topham fired a shot to the far post for a Bliss deflection.
- Williams responded two minutes later, capitalizing on a turnover in the Bowdoin zone. The Ephs turned the play into a 3-on-2 and Roberto Cellini barreled towards St. Denis. Cellini dished to Mollica on the right to complete the hat trick.
- Cellini scored a goal of his in the final four minutes, collecting a breakout pass in neutral territory and speeding into the Bowdoin zone. Cellini buried the top shelf shot.
By the Numbers
- Both teams went 0-for-4 on the power play.
- St. Denis ended the day with 25 saves for the Polar Bears.
- Michael Pinios made 26 stops for Williams.
- Bowdoin hosts Middlebury at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Williams heads north to Colby for a 3:00 p.m. matchup