BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin men's ice hockey team returned to the win column with a 4-1 upset victory over visiting Williams on Friday evening.
The Polar Bears pick up their first win of the second semester to climb to 5-11-0 (3-8-0 NESCAC). The Ephs came into the game ranked second in the conference and sit at 10-5-0 (6-3-0).
- Bowdoin scored a quick goal to open the game, taking a 1-0 lead 2:58 into the first period. Thomas Dunleavy fired off a shot from the high slot which Stephen Morrissey denied. Matthew Lison cleaned up the rebound and went stick side top shelf for his first of the game.
- Williams responded four minutes later as Joe Welch set up Roberto Cellini from the left post. Cellini buried the puck with a one-timer that bested Erik Wurman. The two teams entered the first intermission tied at 1-1.
- The Polar Bears tallied a pair of power play goals in the second period to take a 3-1 lead.
- Cody Todesco handled the puck at the right post, drawing the goalie, and looked to make a wraparound move. Instead of moving behind Morrissey, Todesco dished to Lison in the low slot for a one-timer.
- Bradley Ingersoll notched another man-up goal at 13:24, rattling the puck off both posts with a shot from the left point.
- The Ephs came out in the third period and immediately pressured Bowdoin. C.J. Shugart split a pair of defenders and earned a close range one-on-goal with Wurman. The junior turned away Shugart's shot from the edge of the crease.
- Camil Blanchet added to Bowdoin's total late in the final frame. With 3:51 remaining, the senior laid out and put away his own rebound.
By the Numbers
- Wurman picks up his first win of the season in net for the Polar Bears, making 22 stops.
- Morrissey turned away 36 shots for Williams.
- Bowdoin went 2-for-3 on the power play.
- Williams was 0-for-1 with the extra man.
- The Polar Bears host Middlebury tomorrow afternoon at 4:00 p.m.
- The Ephs travel to Colby for a 3:00 p.m. Saturday game.