BRUNSWICK, Maine – The UMass-Boston men's ice hockey team won the 2017 Bowdoin/Colby Faceoff following a 4-0 victory over Bowdoin on Sunday afternoon.
The Polar Bears slip below .500 to 2-3-0. The ninth-ranked Beacons climb to 9-1-0. UMass-Boston goalie Bailey MacBurnie was named MVP of the Colby/Bowdoin Faceoff after a 35 save performance on Saturday and 26 save shutout on Sunday.
- The Beacons went up early with a Zack Bross goal 3:57 into the contest. Colin Larkin collected the puck behind the net and found Bross above the crease for a quick put back.
- Nine seconds into its first power play of the game, UMass-Boston added to its lead. Bross slid a pass right to Nick Albano at the point who fired off a shot. Larkin deflected the puck as it flew past to best Peter Cronin.
- A Bowdoin turnover in the neutral zone gave the Beacons a two-on-goal 28 seconds into the second period. Larkin and Bross skated towards Cronin with Larkin burying the puck.
- During four-on-four action in the waning minutes of the period, Daniel McMullan looked to put Bowdoin on the board as he poked the puck into MacBurnie's pads. The play was whistled dead before the Polar Bears could convert.
- Bryan Carter responded as he flew down the left side and collected a pass in stride from Albano and buried an open look to the near post.
By the Numbers
- Cronin tied his career high with 46 saves against the Beacons, matching a mark he set in his sophomore season.
- MacBurnie made 26 stops for the shutout.
- Bowdoin went 0-for-4 on the power play. UMass-Boston went 1-for-6.
- Bowdoin heads to Colby on Friday evening for a 7:00 p.m. game.
- The Beacons play at Babson on Friday night with a 7:00 p.m. start.