BRUNSWICK, Maine – Four players scored in double figures to lead the Middlebury College men's basketball team to a 63-51 win over Bowdoin on Friday evening at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Panthers improve to 16-5 (5-2 NESCAC) while the Polar Bears fall to 12-8 (2-5 NESCAC).
- The Panthers never trailed and rode a strong first half to an 18-point halftime lead.
- Middlebury took a 12-4 advantage out of the gate and after Bowdoin trimmed the edge to 12-7 following a David Reynolds three-pointer, the Panthers replied with a 9-3 surge to push the lead to double figures, 21-10 after a Jack Farrell layup midway through the frame.
- After a pair of Stephen Ferraro free throws trimmed the Middlebury margin to 21-12, the Panthers answered with a 10-0, sparked by five points from Matt Folger to create some distance.
- Folger finished with 11 first-half points to give Middlebury a 37-19 advantage at halftime.
- Despite several runs, Bowdoin could not close the gap to single digits at any point in the second half as each Polar Bear surge was answered by a Panther bucket.
By The Numbers
- Matt Folger finished with 15 points to lead Middlebury while Eric McCord recorded a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Jack Farrell (14 points) and Max Bosco (13) also saw double digits for the visitors.
- Bowdoin was paced by 13 points from Jack Simonds. David Reynolds had seven points and nine boards in the loss.
- Neither team shot well in the contest as Bowdoin connected on 35.7% and Middlebury hit for 33.8% from the field.
- The teams combined to go 9-47 from three-point range in the contest.
- Middlebury took advantage of Bowdoin miscues, however, converting 20 points off 19 Polar Bear turnovers.
- Bowdoin hosts Williams on Senior Day at Morrell Gymnasium Saturday at 3:00 p.m.
- Middlebury heads to Waterville to play at Colby on Saturday at 3:00 p.m.