BRUNSWICK, Maine – Tyler Aronson scored 21 points to lead the Tufts men's basketball team to an 87-79 win at Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.
The Jumbos improve to 6-8 (1-1 NESCAC) with their first league win of the season while the Polar Bears fall to 8-4 (1-1 NESCAC) with the setback.
- Hot shooting led the visitors to a nine-point halftime advantage as the Jumbos hit on 52% of their shots from the field in the opening period.
- Five straight points from Will Brady sparked a 7-0 surge for Tufts that gave them a 17-9 lead just six minutes into the contest.
- Bowdoin closed the gap but could never regain the lead at any point in the contest and a put-back by Eric Debrine at the buzzer gave Tufts a 49-40 edge at the break.
- Tufts opened up a 15-point lead thanks to a 8-2 run out of intermission, capped by a three-pointer from Aronson to make it a 57-42 game with 17 minutes to go.
- Bowdoin slowly chipped away, getting a pair of Sam Grad three-pointers, and finally closed to within nine points, 71-62, following a David Reynolds three-pointer with 8:19 to go.
- The teams traded buckets for most of the second stanza until a 10-3 run by Bowdoin trimmed the lead to 83-79 after a Reynolds three-pointer with 2:06 remaining.
- But Aronson answered with a pull-up jumper with 1:38 on the clock, pushing the Tufts lead back to six points, as Bowdoin went scoreless over the final 90 seconds.
By The Numbers
- Tufts finished at 50% shooting for the game and had four players in double-digits, including 21 from Tyler Aronson.
- Luke Rogers added 18 points and 16 rebounds while Justin Kouyoumdjian (15) and Will Brady (14) also reached double-figures.
- Bowdoin was paced by a game-high 23 points from David Reynolds, who netted a trio of three-pointers.
- Jack Simonds had 20 points and eight boards for the Polar Bears while Sam Grad had 14 points and five rebounds off the bench for Bowdoin.
- Tufts owned a 39-34 edge in rebounds and forced 19 Polar Bear turnovers, converting them into 18 points in the win.
- Bowdoin returns to action Tuesday night at Maine Maritime (6:00 p.m.)
- Tufts will return home to face UMass-Boston Tuesday evening (7:00 p.m.)