LEWISTON, Maine – The Bowdoin College men's basketball rolled to an easy win at Bates on Thursday evening, 80-59, in Alumni Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears have won three straight games and improve to 5-3 this season. Bates falls to 2-6 with the loss. This was the non-conference meeting between the programs. The teams will play the NESCAC game in Brunswick on Friday, January 4.
- The Bobcats jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead, and maintained a 9-6 lead early in the opening half, but it proved to be their only advantage of the contest.
- The Polar Bears, sparked by back to back lay-ups from Stephen Ferraro, used a 9-2 run to take their first lead of the game, 15-9, about seven minutes in.
- Bowdoin maintained a single-digit lead for most of the opening half until a seven point outburst by David Reynolds keyed an 11-3 run to end the period, giving the visitors a 38-24 lead at intermission.
- The Polar Bears stretched the lead to as many as 26 points in the second half on their way to the victory.
By The Numbers
- Bowdoin dominated the glass, owning a 45-27 edge in rebounding.
- The Polar Bears shot 47% from the field and held Bates to just 39%.
- David Reynolds finished with a game-high 25 points while Jack Bors contributed 15 off the bench on 6-7 shooting.
- Jack Simonds (13 points, seven rebounds, six assists) and Zavier Rucker (11 points, four assists, two steals) also saw double figures. Hugh O'Neil ended with a game-high 15 rebounds to go with five points.
- No Bates player reached double figures in the loss.
- Bowdoin will close out its first semester on Sunday evening when they host Southern Maine in Morrell Gymnasium at 7:00 p.m.