BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College men's basketball team held off a late charge by Pine Manor to take a 70-66 win on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears even their record at 3-3 this season while the Gators fall to 1-8 with the loss.
- After Pine Manor took the initial 3-0 lead on a game-opening three-pointer from Carlos Martins, the Polar Bears took command with a 13-2 run, capped by a Jack Simonds three-pointer.
- Bowdoin pushed its lead to 18 points, 50-32, at halftime and extended their advantage to as many as 22 points in the second half.
- A Zavier Rucker three-pointer gave Bowdoin its largest lead, 68-46, with 6:00 minutes remaining, but the Gators closed the game on a 20-2 run, including five three-pointers and closed the gap to as few as four points in the closing minute.
- The Gators had an opportunity to cut it to a single-possession game, but a missed layup with 11 seconds to go sealed the win for Bowdoin.
By The Numbers
- After shooting 62.5% from the field in the first half, Bowdoin cooled to 20.7% in the second half and finished at 42.6% for the game.
- Jack Simonds finished with 17 points and eight boards while Hugh O'Neil recorded a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
- David Reynolds (14) and Zacier Rucker (11) also saw double digits while Stephen Ferraro had nine points, seven assists and five steals.
- Pine Manor got 34 points from its bench, including a team-high 17 from Shaun Miller and 13 from Rasheed Bell.
- Bowdoin owned a slim 42-41 edge in rebounding for the game.
- Bowdoin continues its non-conference slate on Monday against Anna Maria at home at 6:00 p.m.
- The Gators return to action at home on Tuesday against Green Mountain College.