BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Colby College men's basketball team netted ten three-pointers to earn an 83-70 road win at Bowdoin in the non-confernce meeting between the squads Thursday night at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears fall to 2-3 with the loss while the Mules improve to 5-1 on the year. The teams will play the NESCAC conference game on January 19 in Waterville.
- The Mules led from the start, hitting their first three shots and jumping to an 11-2 lead after just three minutes of play.
- Colby extended their lead to 14 points following a Tucker Wallace three-pointer, 26-12, with 9:12 left in the opening period.
- Bowdoin climbed back into it with a 9-2 surge, capped by a Hugh O'Neil lay-in that closed the gap to seven points, 28-21, but Colby responded with consecutive trifectas from Sam Jefferson and Matt Hanna to push the lead back to double figures.
- The Polar Bears would get no closer than ten points for the rest of the game, as Colby held a 42-29 lead at the break and led by as many as 25 points in the second half.
By The Numbers
- Sam Jefferson led the Mules with 27 points, including four three-pointers.
- Three other Mules saw double-digits, including 15 points and 11 rebounds from Noah Tyson.
- Bowdoin was led by 26 from Jack Simonds, who also had 11 rebounds. Stephen Ferraro piched in 17 off the bench.
- Colby shot 43.3% from the field, including 34.5% from three-point range and held Bowdoin to just 38% from the field and 4-19 (21%) from long-range.
- Bowdoin returns to action on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. when they host Pine Manor.
- Colby hosts Colby-Sawyer at 4:00 p.m. Saturday in Waterville.