BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's basketball team closed the game on a 14-5 run to defeat Anna Maria on Wednesday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium, 69-59.
The Polar Bears move to 6-3 this season while the AMCats fall to 2-7 on the year.
- Bowdoin never trailed after the opening minutes, but couldn't put away Anna Maria until late in the second half.
- The Polar Bears led by as many as 11 points in the opening half, and hit 4 of 7 three-pointers in the first stanza to take a 33-24 edge at intermission.
- Bowdoin opened the second half on a 8-3 run to take their largest lead of the game, 41-27, with 16:30 to go.
- The Polar Bears maintained a comfortable lead, 53-42, with under nine minutes to play before Anna Maria made a late surge to get back into the contest.
- David Jean-Louis hit a pair of three-pointers to spark a 13-2 Anna Maria run and the AMCats drew even, 55-55 on a Tanner Jakola three-pointer with 5:46 to go.
- Jack Simonds answered with a three-pointer for the Polar Bears, and Bowdoin hit four straight free throws to create some distance.
- Bowdoin's defense tightened up, holding Anna Maria scoreless for a crucial 3:23 span down the stretch and the Polar Bears put the game on ice with a steal and fast break layup from Tim Ahn, followed by a three-pointer from Simonds to take a ten-point lead with a minute to go.
By The Numbers
- Simonds scored ten of his team-high 15 points in the second half while also grabbing seven rebounds.
- Hugh O'Neil finished with 13 points, nine boards and three steals while David Reynolds pitched in 13 points off the bench.
- Tim Ahn had eight points and seven assists in the victory for Bowdoin.
- David Jean-Louis scored 23 points, including five three-pointers, for Anna Maria, who also got 14 points and six boards from Kenneth Graham. Mike Rapoza had a game-high 12 rebounds.
- Rebounds were 36 apiece but Bowdoin scored 12 points off 13 Anna Maria turnovers while committing just seven in the game.
- Bowdoin will close out 2016 with a road game at Saint Joseph's on Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- Anna Maria will also play on Friday evening at Nichols at 6:00 p.m.