LEWISTON, Maine - The Bowdoin College men's basketball team suffered a 74-60 setback to Bates in a non-conference contest at Alumni Gymnasium on Wednesday evening.
The Bobcats move to 4-2 overall while the Polar Bears stand at 4-3 following the game. The teams will play their NESCAC game on Saturday, January 7 in Brunswick.
- A hot shooting first half put the Polar Bears in a hole from which they couldn't recover as the Bobcats connected on 63% of their shots and took a 43-24 lead at the break.
- Eight straight points from Bates' Max Hummel sparked a 16-0 run to give the Bobcats a lead they would never relinquish.
- Bowdoin battled back in the second half behind Jack Bors, who supplied 13 points in the second stanza, including a trio of three-pointers.
- But the Polar Bears could never get the lead back into single digits as Bates clung to the win.
By The Numbers
- Marcus Delpeche led all players with 25 for Bates while Hummel and Malcolm Delpeche had a dozen points each for the hosts.
- Bors finished with 16 points to lead Bowdoin while David Reynolds had 15. Jack Simonds ended with 12 points while Hugh O'Neil led all players with a dozen rebounds.
- Bates held a commanding 51-30 edge on the glass and hit on 47.5% from the field compared to 32.4% for the Polar Bears.
- Bowdoin finishes out its first semester with a road game at Maine-Farmington on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.