AMHERST, Mass. - The Bowdoin College men's basketball team saw its season come to a close in a hard-fought 83-76 loss in the NESCAC Quarterfinals at Amherst on Saturday.
The Polar Bears end their year with a record of 12-11 as the careers of Bowdoin's fantastic senior class of Matt Palecki, Jake Donnelly and Lucas Hausman come to a close. Amherst moves to 21-4 and will advance to the NESCAC semifinals next weekend.
- After Bowdoin took an early 8-7 lead, Amherst used a 17-4 run, capped by a Jeff Racy three-pointer, to take a 24-12 lead ten minutes into the contest
- Bowdoin battled back with a 12-0 run later in the period, finished off with a Hausman three-pointer, to tie the game at 30-30 late in the half
- Bowdoin briefly took the lead late in the period, but five points from Connor Green in the final two minutes lifted Amherst to a 48-42 lead at halftime
- The Polar Bears fought back to tie the score on four occasions in the second half, the latest coming on a Jack Simonds jumper that made it 63-63 with 8:52 to go
- But each time the Polar Bears rallied, Amherst answered with a bucket and six straight points from Johnny McCarthy gave the Purple & White a 69-63 lead with under seven minutes to play
- Bowdoin cut the lead to three points on two occasions but could get no closer
- Key three-pointers from Jeff Racy and Michael Riopel down the stretch gave Amherst some breathing room as time ran out on the Polar Bears
By The Numbers
- In his final game as a Polar Bear, Lucas Hausman scored 29 points and grabbed a season-best eight rebounds to go with three assists. He finishes his career with 1,482 points - good for seventh all-time at Bowdoin. His 25.3 points per game this season in a new school record
- Jack Simonds capped a sensational rookie campaign with 25 points and four rebounds while Matt Palecki totaled nine points and nine rebounds in his final contest
- Connor Green was the leading scorer for Amherst with 29 points
- Bowdoin shot 41% for the contest but just 17% from long-range (5-29) while Amherst connected on 12-30 from three-point range
- Bowdoin owned a 42-34 edge in rebounding