BRUNSWICK, Maine - Jack Simonds scored 27 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead the Bowdoin College men's basketball team to a 73-51 non-conference win over Bates on Tuesday evening at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Polar Bears improve to 10-10 this season while the Bobcats fall to 10-13 overall. The win completes a season sweep for Bowdoin against Bates as the Polar Bears earned a 84-77 win in the NESCAC match-up between the schools in Lewiston on January 9.
- Both teams struggled offensively in the early going as the squads were tied at 20 apiece with under seventh minutes to go in the opening period
- Tim Ahn hit a shot clock-beating jumper and Jack Simonds scored eight points to spark a 13-4 run that gave Bowdoin some breathing room
- Jack Hewitt put home a layup with seconds to go before the break to give Bowdoin a 35-28 lead at halftime
- Bates stayed within striking distance in the second half, closing to within four points early in the period, 43-39, following a Marcus Delpeche dunk
- Bowdoin answered with ten straight points, featuring eight from Simonds as Bates went ice cold from the field, going over six minutes without scoring as the Polar Bears built a 53-39 lead with 9:26 to play
- The Bobcats could get no closer than 11 points over the final minutes as Bowdoin slowly pushed the final margin to 22
By The Numbers
- Simonds finished 11-15 from the field while Hausman pitched in 17 points and seven boards for the Polar Bears
- Marcus Delpeche was the lone Bobcat in double figures, scoring 12 points and collecting seven rebounds
- Bowdoin got a solid contribution off the bench from Tim Ahn, who scored seven points, dished out five assists and had five steals in the win
- Bates shot just 30% from the field for the contest, including 17% (4-23) from three-point range
- Bowdoin shot 47% from the field and held a 47-38 advantage on the glass
- Bowdoin will host Wesleyan at 7:00 p.m. on Friday evening
- Bates will return to action on Sunday at Williams in their final NESCAC contest of the year at 2:00 p.m.