BRUNSWICK, Maine - The Amherst College men's basketball team rallied from a 17-point deficit to defeat Bowdoin 92-78 on Friday night at Morrell Gymnasium.
The eighth-ranked Purple & White remain unbeaten in conference play and improve to 14-2 (4-0 NESCAC). Bowdoin falls to 8-6 (1-3 NESCAC) this season.
- Amherst sprinted to an 8-2 lead, but Bowdoin answered with a 16-3 surge, highlighted by nine points from Lucas Hausman, to take an 18-11 lead just seven minutes into the game
- Bowdoin continued to roll, hitting on 52% of their shots in the opening stanza, and scoring 11 second chance points while converting 10 Amherst turnovers into 12 points
- The Polar Bears led 47-30 with under two minutes to go before Amherst hit consecutive three pointers from Connor Green and Jeff Racy to close the gap to 47-36 at intermission
- Bowdoin maintained a double-digit lead through the opening minutes of the second half before Amherst mounted its decisive rally
- A quick 9-2 run, capped by a Green basket and free throw trimmed the lead to 57-53 with 12:56 remaining
- Amherst then got red hot from the field, as Jayde Dawson sparked a 20-3 run with five straight points that put the visitors from down four to up 11, 77-66, with 6:04 to go
- Bowdoin went cold from the field, going scoreless for over four minutes during the Amherst run that sealed the game
By The Numbers
- Hausman led all scorers with 32 points while adding five rebounds in the win
- Jack Simonds added 16 points in the loss for Bowdoin
- Green paced Amherst with 27, including 18 in the second half and was joined in double figures by four other players
- Racy (17), Dawson (12), Michael Rippel (11) and Eric Conklin (11) also saw double digits for the visitors
- Amherst held a 44-28 advantage in rebounding, including a 27-8 margin in the second half
- The visitors finished 51% shooting from the field compared to 43% for Bowdoin, overcoming 17 turnovers
- Bowdoin will host Trinity on Saturday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.
- Amherst travels to Colby for a 3:00 p.m. tip-off tomorrow