BRUNSWICK, Maine - The University of New England men's basketball team held off Bowdoin 72-70 in a non-conference contest on Tuesday evening at Morrell Gymnasium.
The Nor'easters improve to 4-2 on the season while Bowdoin falls to 1-2.
- Bowdoin carried a slim 36-35 lead into halftime thanks to a three-pointer from Jack Simonds before the break
- The Polar Bears maintained a three-point lead, 50-47, five minutes into the second half before Ben Judson and Gavin Dibble knocked home consecutive three-pointers to give UNE a 53-50 advantage
- Bowdoin was able to gain their footing and use a 9-0 surge midway through the period, sparked by five points from Simonds, to take their biggest lead of the game, 63-55, with 8:40 to go
- UNE responded with a 11-0 run, capped by three straight trifectas from CJ Autry and two from Devin Thompson, to take a 66-63 lead with 5:47 on the clock
- The Nor'easters pushed the lead to five points, 72-67, with 2:15 to go, but the Bowdoin defense held UNE scoreless the rest of the way as it mounted a late comeback
- The Polar Bears forced two turnovers in the final minute of play, coming within two points following a pair of Lucas Hausman free throws with 31 seconds to go
- Hausman was fouled again with 1.8 seconds remaining and had a chance to knot the contest at the free throw stripe, but missed the first attempt. Bowdoin got the offensive board, but a desperation three-pointer by Simonds rimmed out at the buzzer
By The Numbers
- Thompson finished with a team-high 22 points for UNE, eclipsing the 1,000 point mark for his career
- He was joined in double figures by Dibble, who had 16 off the bench, and Autry, who finished with 11
- Hausman led all players with 34 points in the loss for Bowdoin and was joined by Simonds (12) and Matt Palecki, who ended with a double-double (11 points, 11 rebounds)
- Bowdoin held a 43-38 edge in rebounding and shot 41% from the field compared to 38% from the UNE, but the Nor'easters buried 15 three-pointers in the win to just six for the Polar Bears
- Bowdoin will host Babson on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. in Morrell Gymnasium
- UNE will travel to play Bates on Sunday at 5:00 p.m.