Hausman's Career High Not Enough as Trinity Edges Men's Basketball in OT

Lucas Hausman was a perfect 13-13 from the free throw line on Friday
Lucas Hausman was a perfect 13-13 from the free throw line on Friday

HARTFORD, Conn. - In a battle for first place in the NESCAC, the Trinity College men's basketball team rallied from an eight-point second half deficit to tip Bowdoin, 67-66, in overtime on Friday evening.

The win gives the Bantams (15-5, 5-1)  sole possession of first place in the league while the Polar Bears see their five-game winning streak snapped as they drop to 13-5 (4-2 NESCAC).

Lucas Hausman was outstanding again for Bowdoin, scoring a career-high 30 points, including a 13-13 effort from the free throw line. John Swords pitched in 13 points,  nine rebounds and four blocks while Bryan Hurley had nine points and seven assists in the loss.

Trinity was led by 16 points apiece from Jaquann Starks and Rick Naylor.

Bowdoin carried a four point lead into halftime, 32-28, and used an 11-5 surge early in the second half, sparked by three-pointers from Hausman, Farley and Hurley, to take a 47-39 lead  with under 15 minutes to play. Trinity replied with an authoritative 13-0 run, capped by a pair of Naylor three-pointers, to take their biggest lead of the game, 52-47, with 9:21 remaining.

The back-and-forth contest swung back the Polar Bears' direction as Bowdoin rolled off a 11-0 run of its own as a Swords lay-up gave the visitors a 58-52  lead with 5:40  to go. But Trinity answered again and chipped away at the Bowdoin lead to regain the advantage following another Naylor trifecta, 62-61, with under two minutes to play. Bowdoin tied it on a Hurley free throw and both teams missed late chances in regulation as the game headed into overtime. 

Trinity scored the first four points of the extra session and never relinquished the lead. Ed Ogundeko's free throw gave the Bantams a 67-64 edge with 1:17 on the clock but Liam Farley's jumper trimmed the lead  to  67-66 on the very next possession. Bowdoin got a big defensive stop and was able to advance the ball to half court before calling a time out with five seconds remaining. The ensuing inbounds pass was deflected into the backcourt however, and Hurley's desperation half-court heave went wide as the Bantams clung to the win.

Trinity shot just 33% for the game but held a 42-32 edge in rebounding and connected on 11 three-pointers to just four for Bowdoin. The Polar Bears will look to rebound on Saturday as they travel to Amherst for a 3:00 p.m. tip-off.