BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team picked up a 2-1 win over Colby on Monday night and handed head coach Nicky Pearson her 350th victory with the program.
The fourth-ranked Polar Bears climb to 12-1 (7-1 NESCAC) on the season. The Mules (8-5, 4-5 NESCAC), scored less than two minutes into the game, but were unable to hold off the Bowdoin offense.
- The Mules came out of the gate and quickly went ahead 1-0. Colby came down the field and worked the ball through Bowdoin's defense and forced Maddie Ferrucci to lay out at the right post. Georgia Cassidy stayed with the play and ultimately pushed the ball through the scrum into the cage.
- Bowdoin answered with a goal at 11:34. Elle Brine inserted on a penalty corner and found Manveer Sandhu at the top. Sandhu fired off a shot that caught a piece of Emily Buckman's right pad. The ball clipped the goalie but continued towards the net and trickled across the goal line.
- Three minutes later, Kara Finnerty gave Bowdoin the lead on another penalty corner. Peyton Jackson drove a ball from the top and the Colby fly deflected it up. With the ball in the air, Finnerty made a connection and tipped the shot up and over the goalie.
- Colby pressured the Polar Bears in the second half, controlling the flow of play. As time expired, the Mules earned a penalty corner with a chance to force overtime. The dish left was met by another Bowdoin foul and awarded the visitors a second opportunity to find an equalizer. The final shot of the game trickled wide.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held a 9-4 shot advantage, with an 8-1 edge in the first half of action.
- The Mules saw all four of their corners come in the second half of play while Bowdoin had seven in the first 30 minutes.
- Buckman made one save in the first quarter before being relieved by Savannah Shaw for the final 45 minutes. Shaw made three saves.
- Ferrucci made two stops and also sprawled to cut off a dangerous pass coming into the circle.
- Bowdoin hosts Williams on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.
- The Mules host Husson on Thursday at 5:00 p.m.