LEWISTON, Maine – Emma Stevens scored less than three minutes into action and the Bowdoin field hockey team held on for a 1-0 conference win at Bates on Wednesday evening.
The Polar Bears improve to 3-0 (2-0 NESCAC), while the Bobcats drop to 1-1 (1-1 NESCAC). The win is Bowdoin's 34th consecutive victory over Bates.
- On Bowdoin's first corner of the game, Peyton Jackson blasted a shot from the circle that was deflected into net by Stevens at 2:22.
- The Polar Bears did not allow a Bates shot in the opening 30 minutes of action.
- The Bobcats came out firing in the second half of play, highlighted by six penalty corners in the third quarter and as many shots.
- Maddie Ferrucci made a stack save at her right post to deny an equalizer in the final minute, but the Bobcats earned a corner in the last 15 seconds of the game. Bowdoin locked down on defense and swept the ball out of the circle and down the field to secure the win.
By the Numbers
- Ferrucci earned the shutout with three saves on the day.
- Ellie Bauer made four stops in the first half of action with Grace Biddle playing the second 30 minutes.
- Bowdoin held a slight 11-7 edge in shots.
- Bates had nine penalty corners while the Polar Bears had five.
- The Polar Bears host top-ranked Middlebury on Saturday at 11:00 a.m.