BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team picked up its third straight win with a 7-1 victory over UMaine-Farmington on Wednesday evening.
The fifth-ranked Polar Bears climb to 8-1 on the year. The Beavers (1-7) spoiled the shutout with a late goal for the second year in a row.
- Bowdoin got the on the board with an Abby Bashaw goal 4:15 into the play. The ball popped up following a corner play and Bashaw batted it into the net.
- Grace DiMarco made a pair of saves on close-range shots from Emma Stevens before Elizabeth Growney put a third and final shot into the net on the right post.
- Stevens scored in the 15th minute, this time finishing off a feed from Kara Finnerty. Finnerty chipped a pass to her right, allowing Stevens to connect with a bouncing ball.
- Stevens put away her second tally of the evening two minutes later. Elizabeth Bennewitz swept a ball from the top of the circle and Stevens added more momentum as it came towards net.
- Manveer Sandhu set up Bowdoin's fifth goal. Sandhu fired off a shot which Jamie Margiotta connected with and directed to the far post.
- Margiotta crossed a ball to Claudia Kriz one minute later, allowing Kriz to flick a shot on net.
- Kriz finished off an end line cross from Laura Cooper with 15 minutes remaining in the game, pushing the score to 7-1.
- With just over eight minutes to play, DiMarco shut down a breakaway attempt by Cooper with a slidetackle at the stroke line.
- The Beavers converted on a penalty corner with 6:04 to play. Torrie Nightingale inserted to Emma Martineau who aerialed a shot up and over the Bowdoin defense.
By the Numbers
- Bowdoin held a 37-3 shot advantage and 9-3 corner edge.
- DiMarco made 18 saves in the game
- The Polar Bears host Trinity at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.
- The Beavers play at Elms on Saturday with a 3:00 p.m. start.