BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team scored a pair of goals in each half to defeat visiting Wellesley 4-0 on Wednesday night.
The second-ranked Polar Bears (6-1) last played Wellesley (5-3) in the 2015 NCAA Regional Final on Ryan Field. Bowdoin shut out the Blue in a 3-0 game that sent the Polar Bears back to the Final Four.
- Kimmy Ganong scored her first of two opening half goals 16:23 into the game. Mettler Growney swept the ball towards the right post where Johna Cook deflected it in the opposite direction. The ball rebounded out to Juliana Fiore who pushed it towards Ganong on the far post for a 1-0 lead.
- Ganong later finished off a hard drive by Elizabeth Bennewitz from the top, connecting with the moving ball on the left post with 2:47 to play in the half.
- Bennewitz tallied her second assist of the night by setting up Growney 12:49 into the second frame. Following another Bowdoin corner, Bennewitz fed Growney who set up on the right half of the circle. Growney knocked in a drive from just inside.
- Another successful corner rounded out the day's scoring with 4:24 remaining in the game. Following a give-and-go pass between Bennewitz and Tala Glass, Bennewitz directed a shot on net. Kara Finnerty tipped the ball as it passed to tally her first point of the night.
- Bowdoin held a 14-1 edge in corners and 21-1 shot advantage.
- Clara Belitz and Liz Rill combined for the shutout. Maggie Connelly started in net for the Blue, making eight saves, before Lucy Hurlock stepped in for the final 16 minutes and two saves.
- Wellesley hosts Smith College on Saturday with a noon start.
- Bowdoin returns to action with a 6:00 p.m. Monday game at Ryan Field against University of Southern Maine.