BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin field hockey team extended its season opening win streak with a 3-0 midweek win over Bates on Wednesdays night.
The top-ranked Polar Bears have not surrendered a goal in back-to-back NESCAC contests and improve to 3-0 (2-0 NESCAC) on the season. The Bobcats (2-1, 1-1 NESCAC) suffer their first loss of the season after fending off Hamilton in a 4-3 conference opener.
- Bowdoin got on the board 7:19 into the game as Emily McColgan moved the ball down the left side and pushed a hard ball towards net. Johna Cook connected with the shot to tip it past Alyssa Souza.
- Two minutes later Kimmy Ganong finished off a feed from Mettler Growney to double the Polar Bears lead. Growney worked the ball from the top of the circle and dished a reverse stick pass to Ganong who stood just left of the stroke line for a finish.
- Ganong tallied the team's final goal midway through the second half, deflecting a drive from the top by Elizabeth Bennewitz.
- Bowdoin outshot Bates by a 9-2 margin with an 8-0 edge in corners. Souza ended the day with three saves for the Bobcats. Clara Belitz stopped a pair of shots in 60:23 of play before Liz Rill came in to close out the game.
- Bates travels to Tufts on Saturday for a 12:00 p.m. NESCAC game.
- Bowdoin head to Connecticut to play Wesleyan at noon on September 17.