Bowdoin Cruises into NCAA Third Round With Four-Goal Victory Over Keene

Photo courtesy of
Photo courtesy of

BRUNSWICK, Maine - The top-ranked Bowdoin College field hockey team scored three times in less than eight minutes of the opening half en route to a 4-0 win over Keene State in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III Tournament Saturday at Ryan Field.

With the win, the unbeaten Polar Bears (18-0) advance to Sunday's regional final against MIT, who defeated Denison on Saturday, 4-1. Bowdoin also established a new NCAA Division III Tournament record by winning its 13th consecutive game in tournament, breaking the record of 12 formerly held by Salisbury (2003-2005). The Owls end an outstanding season with a record of 20-5.

Katie Herter got Bowdoin going just 10:39 into the contest, putting home a rebound to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. Just over three minutes later, McKenna Teague inserted a corner to Ella Curren, who ripped a hard low shot that Cathleen Smith redirected in front at 13:41. Then, at 18:25, a Keene State defender took down Liz Clegg in the circle to give the Polar Bears a penalty stroke. Katie Herter drilled the ball inside the left post to put the Polar Bears up 3-0. The Owls avoided further damage thanks to an excellent play bydefender Kerry Howe, who had a diving defensive save in the opening period.

Clegg rounded out the scoring for Bowdoin with 30:49 remaining. Teague inserted a penalty corner to Curren, who swiftly slid the ball over to a waiting Clegg at the top of the circle. Clegg let loose a bouncing shot that found its way to the back of the net.

Bowdoin owned a 10-1 advantage in penalty corners, allowing just one shot in the game. Kayla Lessard was forced to make one save to earn the Polar Bears' tenth shutout victory of the season. Catilin Davino-Draper made 12 saves in net for the Owls.

MIT 4, Denison 1

BRUNSWICK, Maine - Junior Kimberly Barker scored twice and assisted on two more to lead the MIT field hockey team over Denison, 4-1, in the Second Round of the NCAA Division III Field Hockey Tournament Saturday at Bowdoin College.

The Engineers (19-3) set a new program record for wins in a season and advance to play the host Polar Bears at 1:00 p.m. Sunday in the regional final. Denison closes out a record-breaking season with a record of18-2.

MIT took an early lead with a pair of goals just 5:16 apart. Anna Teruya got the Engineers going with a hard shot from the top of the circle at 13:15 that slipped inside the right post. MIT doubled its lead when Kameron Klauber put home a feed from Barker at 18:31. Denison responded when Katie McMahon received the insert on penalty corner, ripped a shot that Catie Merrick stopped and flicked over the MIT goalkeeper to make it a 2-1 deficit at the half.

MIT put the game away in the second period as Barker scored twice to put the game on ice. She tapped in a loose ball in front at 56:47 and then sealed the win with a shot inside the left post off a rebound at 69:24.

Casey Landry (one save, one goal) earned the win for MIT before giving way to Jenna Klein (one save) as both netminders played a half. Brittany Benson made 15 saves in the loss for the Big Red. MIT held a 35-7 advantage in shots and a 15-4 edge in penalty corners.